MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Police in Alabama say a juvenile is charged with murder in the death of a 14-year-old girl who was fatally wounded near her school.
Authorities aren’t releasing the name of the suspect. But they say he was charged late Monday in the slaying of Jaquerria Timmons in Montgomery, Alabama.
Timmons was shot to death Monday in the yard of a church that’s located near Bellingrath Middle School, which she attended. She was shot once in the chest and died later at a hospital.
A police statement says a group of students wound up with a gun that was provided by someone who wasn’t a student at the middle school. Police say there wasn’t a confrontation, and it’s unclear what led to the gunfire.
Authorities say they are still investigating.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump
- Arizona Supreme Court rules same-sex spouses have equal parental rights