2 die, 2 seriously injured in Phoenix freeway accidents
PHOENIX — Two people died, including a good Samaritan, and two others were critically injured Monday morning in a pair of accidents on Interstate 17 in Phoenix.
A motorcyclist and someone trying to help died near Union Hills Drive. The woman was one of three good Samaritans hit by a car while they tried to reach the cyclist.
A spokesman for the Arizona Department of Public said another would-be rescuer was unharmed.
The wrecks shut down southbound lanes at Loop 101 and the loop’s eastbound and westbound ramps to I-17 were also closed.
The northbound lanes were reopened around 8:40 a.m. The southbound lanes reopened about 10:30 a.m.
The Phoenix Fire Department said it had treated four people at the scene.
The Arizona Department of Transportation reported that traffic was diverted onto Loop 101.
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona stories from President’s Day weekend
- Mark Kelly calls for gun control legislation after Florida shooting
- Meghan McCain shares photo of Sen. John McCain at Arizona home
- Storm expected to slam Arizona high country with strong wind
- Arizona landmarks make list of must-see attractions in North America