HOUSTON (AP) — The number of rigs exploring for oil and natural gas in the U.S. rose by 10 this week to 857.
A year ago, 431 rigs were active.
Houston oilfield services company Baker Hughes Inc. said Friday that 688 rigs sought oil and 167 explored for natural gas this week. Two were listed as miscellaneous.
Texas added six rigs and Alaska, Colorado, North Dakota, Pennsylvania and Wyoming each gained one.
Oklahoma lost one rig.
Arkansas, California, Kansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Ohio, Utah and West Virginia were unchanged.
The U.S. rig count peaked at 4,530 in 1981. It bottomed out last May at 404.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Doctors say officer stabbed in neck at Michigan airport recovering well
- Main Street Minute: Vig restaurant chain sells central Phoenix site
- After rapid growth, Lyft formally opens new hub in Phoenix
- Former Arizona Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick mulls another run for Congress
- Coconino Forest officials in Arizona add to fire restrictions list