Not every home improvement has to cost thousands of dollars. There are plenty of things to do in your home without taking out a second mortgage.
In fact, when those tax refunds come in, it’s a great idea to reinvest that money in your home. We’ve put together a list of 12 projects you can do for under $500 and some budget ideas.
Keep in mind, some projects may require a little do-it-yourself skill and a few shopping trips.
1. Replace the old hardware on your front door
Don’t look for the cheapest door handle and deadbolt lock. You want one that’s bump-proof to deter burglars and one with a finish that will last a long time in the Arizona sun.
Budget: $150 and up
2. Install new outdoor lighting
Put in new path lighting for the front of your house, preferably by installing new LED fixtures. Path lights with LED bulbs come with the bulbs inside just as halogen systems do.
This is an easy DIY job.
Budget: Sets are $150 or more
3. Pep up the landscape in your front yard
If you favor desert gardening, make sure your yard is weed-free. If you have a more traditional look with a lawn, water and fertilize more regularly to keep it green.
If there are any big trees or bushes that obstruct the view of the house, you want to prune them back. You can always spruce things up by adding some gravel as well.
4. Replace incandescent can lights with LEDs
If you don’t have to replace the mechanism inside the receptacle, it should not cost much. LEDs will help pay for themselves by saving energy.
Budget: $15 per bulb
5. Hide a mess
Set up a trellis and plant vines on it to block the view of the area where you store your trash cans or to hide pipes or wiring.
6. Make your home safer
Install a security screen door on the front of the house. Be sure to invest in a good quality lock and deadbolt.
Budget: $500 or less
7. Plant a tree
Make it a desert tree, such as a mesquite or palo verde
Budget: $250 for a 15-gallon tree delivered and planted
8. Install a new toilet in the master bath
Most homeowners cannot do this by themselves, so it’s probably going to cost a bit more. It would be nice to change the toilets in other bathrooms as well.
Budget: $500, including toilet
9. Replace the faucet in the kitchen sink
Just be sure to buy a faucet with a finish that matches the finish used in other places in the kitchen, such as the drawer and cabinet knobs.
Budget: $100 or more, but you may have to hire a plumber, too
10. Hang a new chandelier or lighting fixture
Consider doing this in the kitchen or dining room or maybe even the bathroom
If the light is not too heavy, you might be able to do this yourself with a little help from a friend. Just be sure to turn off the power to the lighting fixture first.
Budget: $100 or more
11. Replace a ceiling fan
The old ones can get dusty and balky. Be sure to buy one that matches the lighting fixtures. This might not be a DIY job.
Budget: $150 or more
12. Hang a more exciting mirror in the powder room
All this job will take is a tape measure and some nails.
Budget: $200-300 or less
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January