WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson plans to skip a semiannual meeting of NATO foreign ministers this spring and will instead travel to a Group of 7 meeting of top diplomats in Italy and then to Russia.
U.S. officials said Monday that Tillerson will meet NATO diplomats this week in Washington for a conference on defeating the Islamic State group, suggesting there was no need for him to attend the meeting of the alliance in Brussels. The State Department’s third-ranking official, Under Secretary of State Tom Shannon, will represent the U.S. at that meeting, the officials said.
The officials said Tillerson would attend the G7 meeting in Sicily in May and then travel to Moscow.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Former Arizona Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick mulls another run for Congress
- Coconino Forest officials in Arizona add to fire restrictions list
- Policeman stabbed at Michigan airport, suspect in custody
- Ben Carson worries patriotism has taken ‘back seat’ to politics
- Arizona Board of Regents chair Greg Patterson resigns