FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Coconino National Forest officials said a drone hindered efforts to fight a northern Arizona grass fire over the weekend.
Forest spokesman Brady Smith said the drone’s presence Friday near the fire about 15 miles north of Flagstaff caused a helicopter to delay its arrival to help map the spread of the fire.
Forest officials said members of the public, news media, film and video production companies and others should never fly drones over or near a wildfire.
Officials said unauthorized drone flights can cause serious injury to firefighting personnel in the air and to firefighters and others on the ground.
The 228-acre grass fire was declared 100 percent contained Saturday. Several communications towers and a retired Forest Service fire guard station were threatened but not damaged.
The fire’s cause was under investigation.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain