Phoenix-area schools put on lockdown while police search for robbery suspect
PHOENIX — Several Phoenix-area schools were put on lockdown for a short time Monday while police searched the area for a robbery suspect.
The Chandler and Tempe police departments were searching near Rural Road and Chandler Boulevard for at least one person suspected of robbing a man at gunpoint.
The Kyrene School District said Aprende Middle School, Pueblo Middle School, Brisas Elementary School, Paloma Elementary School, Mirada Elementary School and Kyrene Traditional School were all placed on modified lockdown.
During the modified lockdown, school doors are locked and no one is allowed to enter or leave campus.
The lockdown was in place for about an hour. It was lifted just after 11 a.m.
Police said the robbery occurred near Baseline Road and Mill Avenue. The three suspects allegedly took various items along with the victim’s car.
The victim recognized one of the suspects and, when he went to the suspect’s Chandler residence, the victim saw his stolen car at the home.
The victim was not injured.
- Tempe Police outfit duty motorcycles with AR-15s
- Self-driving Uber car fatally runs over pedestrian in Tempe
- Zebra escapes Chandler Ostrich Festival grounds, hit by car and killed
- Lockdown lifted for Seattle-area college after reports of shots fired
- Iowa county considers response to Arizona man’s wrongful arrest lawsuit