PHOENIX — A new documentary that will tell the stories of teenagers who were victims of child sex trafficking is set to be shown at a Phoenix-area movie theater on Tuesday.
“I Am Jane Doe” tells the stories of teenagers who were sold as sex trafficking victims through Backpage.com, a classifieds website which is now the subject of several lawsuits filed by the teenagers’ mothers.
The documentary was brought to the Valley with the help of Cindy McCain, who co-chairs the Governor’s Task Force on Human Trafficking.
“What we want people to know is that the sale of children online for sex is illegal, but it is still happening,” McCain said.
McCain said the film, which is narrated by Jessica Chastain and directed by Mary Mazzio, “was too important for Arizona not to see.”
The documentary will be shown at the Harkins Camelview 14 theater in Scottsdale at 6 p.m. on Tuesday and will be followed by a panel discussion. Additional showings of the film will take place starting Friday through next Thursday.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- Help! Phoenix mountain rescues on pace to set record in 2017
- Arizona student in US illegally posts tax return online, goes viral
- Flagstaff man catches Arizona record 33-pound catfish
- Suspect who shot at deputies, forced Bearizona lockdown arrested
- McCain predicts more ties between Russia and Trump campaign will be uncovered