PHOENIX — A new documentary that will tell the stories of teenagers who were victims of child sex trafficking is set to be shown at a Phoenix-area movie theater on Tuesday.
“I Am Jane Doe” tells the stories of teenagers who were sold as sex trafficking victims through Backpage.com, a classifieds website which is now the subject of several lawsuits filed by the teenagers’ mothers.
The documentary was brought to the Valley with the help of Cindy McCain, who co-chairs the Governor’s Task Force on Human Trafficking.
“What we want people to know is that the sale of children online for sex is illegal, but it is still happening,” McCain said.
McCain said the film, which is narrated by Jessica Chastain and directed by Mary Mazzio, “was too important for Arizona not to see.”
The documentary will be shown at the Harkins Camelview 14 theater in Scottsdale at 6 p.m. on Tuesday and will be followed by a panel discussion. Additional showings of the film will take place starting Friday through next Thursday.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Arizona State Hospital treatment center patient escapes, poses harm to others
- Construction on $177 million Tempe streetcar set for summer
- McCain says North Korea didn’t just disrespect China, but ‘they disrespected us’
- Survey: If living in Arizona, becoming a surgeon will pay off the most
- American cyclist Young dies from injuries sustained in Tucson crash