WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Tammy Duckworth is criticizing President Donald Trump’s comments that Americans “don’t fight to win” wars, saying the comments show he isn’t fit to be commander in chief.
The Illinois Democrat is an Iraq war veteran who lost both legs in combat. She’s referring to comments Trump made to governors on Monday, in a speech that highlighted an upcoming proposal to boost military spending.
Trump said that when he was young, people used to say that the United States never lost a war, “and now we never win a war.” He added that “we don’t fight to win.”
Duckworth said the comments are offensive to men and women in uniform.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix