TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a police officer fatally shot one dog and critically injured another after the animals killed a poodle being walked by its owner in Florida.
Tampa police said in a news release that Keithroy George was walking his dog Simba before 6 a.m. Monday when two pit bulls escaped from a nearby home and attacked the dog. George wasn’t injured in the attack.
Simba was dead by the time a police officer arrived. The dogs turned on the officer who fired several shots at them. A pit bull named White Boy was killed. The other dog, named Tito, was wounded. The officer wasn’t injured.
Police are investigating the use of deadly force by the officer. Other aspects of the case are being investigated by Hillsborough County Animal Control.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- West Wing update includes new paint, carpet and eagles
- Trump supporter reportedly shouts death wish of Sen. John McCain
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision