DAYTONA BEACH SHORES, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a man suspected of killing his uncle during a land dispute in Texas was arrested after coming to Florida to attend NASCAR races at Daytona International Speedway.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/2lDHvC4 ) reports 50-year-old Joe Earl Smith told police who arrested him Thursday that he was in town “for the races.”
Daytona Beach Shores police spokesman Lt. Mike Fowler says Smith’s family had informed investigators he was likely heading to Florida for the Daytona 500.
Officers spotted his SUV parked in a lot next to City Hall.
Fowler says Smith told investigators he shot 68-year-old Jack Smith over a land dispute in Marion County, Texas. Joe Smith told authorities his family had been evicted.
He’s being held without bond. Records don’t say whether he has a lawyer.
Information from: Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump tweet attacks Flake, calls Arizona senator ‘toxic’
- After preschool promise, Phoenix couple marries 20 years later
- Pence won’t address Trump comments but condemns supremacists
- Arizona high court rules domestic violence testimony needs scrutiny
- Brewer stands by Trump assessment of Mexican rapists, white power rally