ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on a fight between an off-duty Los Angeles officer and a group of teens in Anaheim (all times local):
Anaheim police are maintaining watch on a neighborhood where a raucous demonstration erupted after an off-duty Los Angeles police officer scuffled with teenagers fired a gunshot into the ground.
Radio station KNX reports that some protesters returned Thursday night but police barred them from the neighborhood where the Los Angeles officer lives.
Anaheim police Sgt. Daron Wyatt tells KNX his department is prepared to keep the neighborhood safe.
The confrontation earlier this week involved an ongoing dispute over youths walking across the Los Angeles officer’s property.
Authorities say the physical struggle happened when the off-duty officer tried to detain a 13-year-old he alleges threatened to shoot him. The youth said he threatened to sue the officer.
That youth and a 15-year-old were arrested but have since been released.
Anaheim’s police chief says the investigation could lead to charges against any and all participants in the incident.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump tweet attacks Flake, calls Arizona senator ‘toxic’
- After preschool promise, Phoenix couple marries 20 years later
- Pence won’t address Trump comments but condemns supremacists
- Brewer stands by Trump assessment of Mexican rapists, white power rally
- 5 missing after Army helicopter goes down off Hawaii coast