Chicago Cubs ready to show off trophy at Arizona spring training
PHOENIX — If seeing is believing, baseball fans in Arizona will get an eyeful of faith rewarded Friday afternoon at a rally hosted by the world champion Chicago Cubs.
The club will have the World Series trophy on display at Sloan Park in Mesa, players and manager Joe Maddon will talk with fans. The trophy will be unveiled at 12:15 p.m. during the four-hour rally.
Fans began lining up while it was still dark, with good reason: The first 1,000 fans in line will earn a wristband that will give them the chance to have their photo taken with the trophy.
Gates at the Cactus League facility open at 10 a.m. The party will include live music, food and drinks.
The Cubs ended a world title drought that had lasted 108 years when they defeated the Cleveland Indians in seven games in October.
Fans have been following the trophy tour online since it was announced in December.
- Abrazo micro-hospital construction underway in Mesa
- 800-pound chunk of USS Arizona heading to Texas war memorial
- Monsoon season is here: What to do when the weather turns dangerous
- MCSO investigating human remains found at Phoenix-area business
- Man shot by Mesa police charged with aggravated assault, other charges