LOS ANGELES (AP) — Ellen DeGeneres has handed out college scholarships to the entire senior class of a New York City charter school.
DeGeneres surprised the 41 students from Brooklyn’s Summit Academy this week at her California studio during the taping of Thursday’s episode of her chat show . The four-year scholarships paid for by Wal-Mart will cover tuition for any state university in New York. DeGeneres says the entire gift is worth $1.6 million.
The school’s first graduating class was last year. School officials tell DeGeneres that 93 percent of members of the class are enrolled in college.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump tweet attacks Flake, calls Arizona senator ‘toxic’
- After preschool promise, Phoenix couple marries 20 years later
- Trump signs bill expanding college assistance for veterans
- Pence won’t address Trump comments but condemns supremacists
- Main Street Minute: Glendale health care campus giving out eclipse glasses