PHOENIX — Parts of the Interstate 10 near downtown Phoenix will be closed overnight to continue construction for the South Mountain Freeway, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
The I-10 will be closed eastbound between 75th and 51st avenues from 10 p.m. Friday to 2 p.m. Saturday. The ramps at 91st, 83rd and 79th avenues will also be closed intermittently.
Transportation officials will shut down the roadway in order to prepare for construction of the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway interchange at 59th Avenue.
The closure was originally scheduled for last weekend, but was rescheduled due to weather. The westbound highway was shut down and successfully constructed on two weekends ago.
Transportation officials said they expect there to be heavy traffic during this time and advise drivers to use alternate routes, including the Loop 101 to Interstate 17 in Phoenix.
The South Mountain Freeway expansion will be an extension of the Loop 202 and will run 22 miles to connect the East Valley to the West Valley by the I-10. It is expected to be completed in late 2019.
Other Phoenix area freeways will be restricted or closed during the weekend of Feb. 24.
• Westbound Loop 202 will be narrowed to one lane between Loop 101 and Scottsdale Road from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday for lane striping.
• Westbound Interstate 10 will be narrowed to one lane in areas between Verrado Way and State Route 85 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday for lane striping.
• Westbound US 60 will be closed between Power and Higley roads from 10 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday for traffic-flow sensor installation.
• Westbound US 60 will be closed between Higley and Greenfield roads from 10 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday for traffic-flow detector installation.
• Northbound Interstate 17 will be narrowed to one lane between 19th Avenue and Thomas Road from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Sunday for construction. Southbound I-17 will also be narrowed to two lanes between Van Buren Street and 19th Avenue.
• Westbound/Southbound Loop 101 frontage road will be closed between 75th Avenue and Beardsley Road from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday for utility work.
• Westbound Interstate 10 ramp to eastbound U.S. 60 in Tempe will be closed overnight from 9 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Saturday for maintenance.
- Trump’s NAFTA termination comment falls flat with Arizona business leaders
- Report: Trump met with Flake’s prospective primary opponents at Phoenix rally
- Protester at Trump rally arrested after threatening Phoenix police
- Trump motorcade snarls morning traffic across Phoenix area
- Trump supporter reportedly shouts death wish of Sen. John McCain