Interstate 17 closes at Peoria after pedestrian struck by vehicle
A car crash that killed a pedestrian closed southbound Interstate 17 for hours Tuesday night near Peoria Avenue, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
The freeway was shut down after 9 p.m. and remained closed until the 4 a.m. hour Wednesday.
Southbound traffic was forced to exit the freeway at Peoria.
The pedestrian was alive at the scene and taken to a hospital but later succumbed to the injuries, DPS said. There were no other injuries reported.
- Crash on I-17 southbound leaves one woman dead, five children injured
- One person killed after plane crashes in Cochise County
- Challenger Space Center facing costly, tricky move from Peoria home
- Man on foot hit by train in Phoenix, in hospital in serious condition
- Ramps along Interstate 17 in Phoenix to be closed overnight this week