EYES ON PARENTING

Phoenix-area firefighters warn of household items that could be fire dangers

Feb 15, 2017, 5:23 AM | Updated: 6:42 am

PHOENIX — When it comes to fire safety, Phoenix-area firefighters are warning parents of some imminent dangers in the home that may go unnoticed.

Ashley Losch, a spokeswoman for the Glendale Fire Department, said scented wall plug-ins and overheated phone and laptop chargers are just a few of the ordinary household items that could also cause fires.

Losch said scented wall plug-ins can “easily catch fire once the scent runs out,” and overheated phone and laptop chargers could become dangerous if they come in contact with fabrics on couches or beds.

Parents should also be aware of their surroundings while they are cooking, especially if their young one wants to be a little helper.

“Kids want to help you cook,” Losch said. “When you’ve got pot handles turned out, they reach up and then the hot oil or the hot water goes all over them.”

Parents who want to learn more about fire prevention should look into the city’s Youth Firesetter Intervention Program, Losch said, which teaches children about the consequences from playing with fire.

Eyes on Parenting

(Pixabay Photo)...
Taylor Kinnerup

Report shows Arizona child drownings in 2021 doubled from previous year

A recent report shows 44 children in Arizona died from drowning in 2021, double the amount from the year before.
2 months ago
(Pexels Photo)...
KTAR.com

Teen arrested for allegedly accidently shooting 17-year-old in Phoenix

A 16-year-old boy was arrested Friday afternoon following a fatal shooting in Phoenix, authorities said. 
9 months ago
(Pexels Photo)...
KTAR.com

1-year-old in extremely critical condition after drowning incident in Phoenix

A 1-year-old girl was taken to the hospital in extremely critical condition after drowning in a pool in Phoenix on Saturday, authorities said.
1 year ago
(File Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images)...
Griselda Zetino

Arizona students get lower standardized test results during the pandemic

Results from statewide testing done in the spring provide a first look at how the pandemic has impacted students across Arizona.
1 year ago
(Pexels Photo)...
KTAR.com

10-month-old in critical condition after drowning incident in East Valley

A 10-month-old boy in the East Valley was hospitalized Sunday evening following a drowning incident, authorities said.
1 year ago
(Pexels Photo)...
KTAR.com

2-year-old in extremely critical condition after drowning in Phoenix

A 2-year-old girl was taken to the hospital in extremely critical condition after drowning in a pool in Phoenix on Saturday, authorities said.
2 years ago

Sponsored Articles

...
Day & Night Air Conditioning, Heating and Plumbing

Company looking for oldest air conditioner and wants to reward homeowner with new one

Does your air conditioner make weird noises or a burning smell when it starts? If so, you may be due for an AC unit replacement.
(Pexels Photo)...

Sports gambling can be fun for adults, but it’s a dangerous game for children

While adults may find that sports gambling is a way to enhance the experience with more than just fandom on the line, it can be a dangerous proposition if children get involved in the activity.
(Desert Institute for Spine Care photo)...
DESERT INSTITUTE FOR SPINE CARE

Why DISC is world renowned for back and neck pain treatments

Fifty percent of Americans and 90% of people at least 50 years old have some level of degenerative disc disease.
Phoenix-area firefighters warn of household items that could be fire dangers