‘Star Wars’ unveils name for Episode 8: ‘The Last Jedi’
We won’t have another new “Star Wars” movie until December, but thanks to a Monday announcement, we at least have a name to attach to the film.
In a tweet, the franchise announced its latest movie will be called “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”
The film will serve as the sequel to “The Force Awakens,” the movie that took the box office by storm in December 2015 and launched the “Star Wars” craze anew.
“The Last Jedi” will continue to follow the adventures of Luke Skywalker — and maybe his descendants — on their adventures through the galaxy. The internet, always a treasure trove of spies with details and rumors, has been silent on plot details.
Disney — which owns the franchise — is planning to release a new movie each year for the foreseeable future.
The films will alternate between the traditional franchise (think the original “New Hope” or the newer “Revenge of the Sith”) and will be somehow related to the Skywalkers. On the off years, Disney will release standalone movies related to the “Star Wars” universe, such as “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” or the upcoming as-of-yet-unnamed Han Solo film set for release in 2018.
“The Last Jedi” is scheduled to be released on Dec. 15.
- New ‘Star Wars’ films to be written, produced by ‘Game of Thrones’ duo
- Here is the first plot synopsis for upcoming ‘Solo’ Star Wars film
- Written math equation recreates famous ‘Star Wars’ theme song
- It feels like Ewan McGregor is gearing up for an Obi-Wan Kenobi spinoff
- Which movie brought in the most money in 2017?