Phoenix-area firefighter dies in off-duty altercation
PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area firefighter was killed during an off-duty altercation over the weekend, authorities said.
Luke Jones, 37, of the Daisy Mountain Fire Department, died Saturday night, after a fight at a nightclub near 19th and Peoria avenues.
Phoenix Police said Jones’ death was being investigated as a homicide and that he had suffered injuries normally associated with an assault. No other details have been made available.
The fire department said in a Facebook post Jones was a 12-year veteran and was a married father of one child.
The Daisy Mountain Fire Department serves areas just north of Phoenix, including Anthem and New River.
- Ballot measure would raise production of clean energy in Arizona
- Thousands to march on Arizona’s capitol in response to Florida shooting
- Phoenix police union calling for review board decision to be overturned
- Mexican gray wolf population grows by 1 animal, survey says
- Arizona ramps up response to school threats after Florida shooting