Study: ‘Orange is the New Black’ most popular Netflix show in Arizona
If you live in Arizona and subscribe to Netflix, the best guess of your favorite show on the streaming network is “Orange is the New Black,” according to one study.
HighSpeedInternet.com cross-referenced the site’s top 75 shows in 2016 with Google Trends in order to determine which show was the most popular in each state and “Orange is the New Black” reigned supreme in the Grand Canyon State.
If you haven’t been tuning in, the show is based on a memoir by Piper Kerman’s experiences in a low-security federal prison. The show’s main character, Piper Chapman, is based on Kerman, who is sentenced for 15 months in a minimum-security women’s federal prison in upstate New York.
The study notes, though without proof of any correlation, that “states like Arizona and Alaska, where the incarceration rate is particularly high, love Orange is the New Black, perhaps because quite a few residents are no stranger to the inside of a cell.”
Throughout the United States, the Netflix original series came in second to ABC’s “Scandal.”
- Abrazo micro-hospital construction underway in Mesa
- 800-pound chunk of USS Arizona heading to Texas war memorial
- Monsoon season is here: What to do when the weather turns dangerous
- MCSO investigating human remains found at Phoenix-area business
- Arpaio claims Justice Department meddled in 2016 campaign for sheriff