What in the world is that? Creepy photo of Arizona ‘demon’ goes viral
PHOENIX — Halloween may have been a few months ago, but that hasn’t stopped a creepy photo snapped in Arizona from going viral.
The photo was posted to Facebook by Richard Christianson, who snapped it in Laveen, a part of Phoenix, on Jan. 1. He added the caption, “What the [expletive] do you see in this picture for reals ??? Anybody.”
While Christianson did not take a guess at what he saw, the internet jumped all over it. His post — prior to it being deleted — had been shared nearly 90,000 times as of 1 p.m. Wednesday and had received more than 10,000 comments. (WARNING: COMMENTS CONTAIN FOUL LANGUAGE)
While it is unclear what the photo is, some commenters were sure they saw a demon. They said they could see a large, dark, winged body complete with a horned head.
Some said it was clearly a photo of the Mothman — despite the urban legend being based in West Virginia — while others had a much simpler answer: a tree.
A few sleuths dug into Christianson’s profile and learned he was a stagehand, so they assumed it could have been a prop used during a show.
The photo was shown on news stations as far away as Atlanta.
What do you think the photo shows? Is it a harmless tree that’s just a bit blurry or something more sinister? Let us know in the comments.
- Phoenix City Council votes to ‘pause’ south-central light rail expansion
- Where do Arizona politicians stand on Trump’s family separation policy?
- Arizona health officials warn about rise in animal rabies cases
- County officials declare missing boy’s cause of death as ‘undetermined’
- Ducey touts unemployment rate, education at Tempe campaign event