Chemical spill west of Phoenix shuts down intersection for hours
PHOENIX — Dozens of first responders worked on a possible chemical spill at a fertilizer plant west of Phoenix early Wednesday morning.
Authorities with the Phoenix Fire Department confirmed the smell of ammonia at Fertizona in Buckeye but hadn’t detected a leak yet. The accident was being treated as hazardous material.
The accident shut down State Route 85 at Baseline Road. The roads did not reopen until after 11 a.m. The closure lasted about six hours.
The plant and nearby businesses were evacuated.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Arizona lawmakers block bump stocks debate after Florida shooting
- After deadly Florida shooting, what is Arizona doing about gun control?
- Ofo, dockless bike share system, kicks off operations in Mesa
- Arizona Super Show to be held at University of Phoenix Stadium
- Arizona DPS trooper injured in crash with impaired driver