6-year-old injured after Christmas tree lights Phoenix home on fire
PHOENIX — Three adults and two children are safe but shaken up after their home ignited in flames caused by a dry Christmas tree, sparking a warning from the Phoenix Fire Department to get rid of old and dried out trees.
Captain Reda Bigler said officials believe the fire was ignited on Monday by a dried-out Christmas tree that spread to the rest of the house.
Bigler said the house “charged” with smoke Monday, but that everyone was able to make it out.
A 6-year-old girl escaped the fire with burns to her hands, feet, head and other parts of her body, but she is expected to be OK.
Officials said the fire started when the girl’s 5-year-old brother was holding a piece of paper over a candle in honor of their recently deceased father.
Bigler said anyone who still has a real Christmas tree in their home should take the steps necessary to get rid of it, which means not only taking it out of the home, but moving it off of the property.
Christmas trees, if they are dried out, can “light in seconds,” Bigler said.
For anyone who still needs to get rid of an old Christmas tree, Phoenix’s Public Works Department is disposing of old trees that are dropped off at participating Phoenix parks until Jan. 8.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Brews and views: Thrillist names the Phoenix area’s best rooftop bars
- Crash causes closure of eastbound Interstate 10 at I-17 in Phoenix
- Phoenix Sky Harbor ties for third-best ‘mega airport’ satisfaction rating
- Georgia man is accused of harassing a judge in Phoenix
- Alarm causes flights headed to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport to be diverted