Here are the most popular homeowner topics of 2016
At year’s end, it’s fun to look back at what we’ve written about on our Rosie on the House website to find out what topics were most popular. This gives us a little insight into what our radio listeners want to learn about.
So the blog that was the most read of all focused on the six toughest plants to grow in Arizona. Over and over, Arizona residents keep planting these tricky plants in their yards even though they seem to be doomed to failure and when they die, they often call our radio program to find out why.
The most finicky plant? It seems to be the avocado tree, which craves a misty sort of climate that you’d find in Santa Barbara or San Diego. Obviously, avocados don’t like the Sonoran desert, but that doesn’t matter to these guacamole-loving gardeners.
The No. 2 most-read blog had the title “20 ideas to improve your curb appeal for $500 or less.” Many of our ideas were even do-it-yourself projects. Here are the first three on the list:
- Have your front door refinished or repainted ($500). Replacing the front door would be nice, but that can cost up to $1,500 or more. So if you still like that front door, just refurbish it.
- Make sure that the doorknob and lock work properly – you don’t want to make it too hard to get in for visiting potential buyers. Replace the lockset ($300-$400 for a higher quality set) if the old one looks worn and chipped.
- Repaint your garage door. You will probably need a gallon of exterior paint ($30-$60) to do the average two-car garage door. It might take less than that, but go with a gallon. Wood usually requires more paint than an aluminum door. Go with eggshell or satin finish.
Third on the most-read list was five must-do fixes for your aging house. These must-dos are things that really date a house and make it look a bit tired, such as old-fashioned fluorescent lights in kitchen and bath, sunken living rooms, and a carport that needs to be replaced with a garage.
Check out all of our most popular blogs of 2016:
1. The toughest stuff to grow in Arizona
2. 20 ideas to improve your curb appeal for $500 or less
3. Five must-do fixes for your aging house
4. What is a mini-split and what are the benefits?
5. Plants out of control
6. HGTV: What’s real and what’s unreal
7. Are open kitchens about to close up again?
8. Six steps to big savings on your electric bill
9. 10 questions to ask before you buy a little cabin in the big woods
10. 8 things you need to know about a remodeling contract
You can find all these topics — including DIY tips and information for all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com –- Arizona’s most trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
Rosie on the House
- Man who rammed car into Phoenix police sentenced to 35 years in prison
- Here are the most-read stories on KTAR.com for 2018
- Report: NFL to suspend Jameis Winston over Scottsdale groping
- Report: Arizona voter database hacked by criminals in 2016, not Russia
- What is an evaporative cooler? Should I get one?