Wrong-way driver accident shuts down freeway in north Phoenix
PHOENIX — A wrong-way driver traveling on a Phoenix-area highway caused a three-car wreck early Thursday morning, injuring two people.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said the accident in north Phoenix closed southbound Interstate 17 at the Carefree Highway (State Route 74) around 4:15 a.m. A driver got onto the south lane trying to head north.
The accident victims were taken to a hospital, where each was reported to be in serious but stable condition.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- New Westin hotel in downtown Tempe breaks ground
- Advocacy groups pressure Arizona to ban bee-killing pesticides
- Affordable housing complex for veterans opens in Tempe
- In wake of Florida shooting, Arizona educators look at social media impact
- Study ranks each Arizona spring training stadium based on fan experience