It’s time once again for my Rosie-Do list. These monthly household tips are intended to help you keep your home running smoothly.
Here are the five recommended to-dos for October.
Double-check your smoke alarm
The National Fire Protection Association is emphasizing smoke alarms during National Fire Protection Week, which starts Oct. 9. Apparently, lots of people don’t know how old their alarms are.
Make sure you replace your alarm every 10 years. That means checking on the age of alarms. Look for the date of manufacture on the back of the alarm.
Also, test the alarms once a month by pushing the TEST button. You may also consider having a fire-safety plan for your family.
Fall is great for resurfacing the deck around your pool
Think about removing dark colored paving or tiles and replacing it with light-colored concrete pavers. Those lighter colors will be kinder to your feet in summer.
It’s still prime time to plant a vegetable garden
Good possibilities for October are asparagus, cabbage, spring peas and onions from seeds. Herbs that will grow easily now include include cilantro, dill, chamomile, and parsley.
Think about planting a tree
Maybe a Chilean or velvet mesquite. Both these mesquites are relatively fast-growing, but the Chilean grows to about 30 feet tall, while the velvet, a native of Arizona, only reaches 25. The velvet also has a stronger root system.
Maybe it’s time to switch from logs to gas
Tired of buying logs and cleaning up after wood fires in your fireplace? Fall is a good time to convert to gas so you can enjoy a cozy fire on cool evenings.
But remember that only a licensed fireplace installer or plumber is qualified to do the work. If you already have a natural gas range, water heater or furnace, that professional will run a new gas pipeline to your fireplace. If you don’t have gas available, you’ll have to power your new gas logs with propane.
For more DIY tips and information for all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com –- Arizona’s most trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- Six things to consider before installing your own dimmer switches
- How to identify and stop common pests living in your yard
- Six tips for success with your spring vegetable garden
- To DIY or not: Projects you can do yourself and those you shouldn’t
- Arizona mother shot in Las Vegas making ‘miraculous’ recovery
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January