PHOENIX — A 5-year-old Phoenix-area boy who was shot Wednesday has died, police said.
The boy was at home with his mother and two other siblings when a gun was found by the boy when he entered a bedroom. The mother heard a bang and went in the room to find her son with an apparent gunshot wound. No one else was in the room and the gun belonged to the father, who was not there.
The Avondale Fire Department said the boy was shot inside an apartment complex near Lower Buckeye Road and Central Avenue.
There are no pending charges at this time.
- Mesa teenager extradited to Arizona in case of missing child
- Child leaves Mesa special-needs school, goes to gas station undetected
- Missing Mesa infant reunited with father after being found in California
- Man killed, woman injured in shooting outside Avondale bar
- Auditors: Turnover apparently down at child welfare agency