The southern city of Willcox has joined Sonoita as the two federally designated wine cities in Arizona.
The city was recognized as a wine-growing region by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau. There are 21 vineyards in Willcox, which equates to two-thirds of the grapes grown in the Willcox basin.
As a result of being recognized by the bureau, Willcox can now begin to put the AVA designation on all of their wine bottles, indicating its authenticity.
Sonoita became the first win city to achieve its designation in Arizona in 1985.
- Arizona’s prisons boss found in contempt over inmate care
- Abrazo microhospital construction underway in Mesa
- 800-pound chunk of USS Arizona heading to Texas war memorial
- Monsoon season is here: What to do when the weather turns dangerous
- MCSO investigating human remains found at Phoenix-area business