PHOENIX — Police in Phoenix shot and killed a home-invasion suspect early Thursday after they said he pulled a gun on three officers.
Pursuit of the suspect on southbound Interstate 17 ended where the freeway meets I-10 near 24th Street, after the suspect crashed the car and fled on foot before pointing a gun at officers.
Police also arrested a second suspect, who was left behind at the house near 64th Avenue and Thomas Road, where authorities had responded to a 911 call.
The suspect who escaped drove to a home near Seventh Avenue and Broadway Road, followed closely by police. Spike strips in the street blew out the tires of the suspects’s car but he continued driving.
Police Sgt. Vince Lewis said the man eventually crashed the SUV. He ran along the fence line before running about 100 yards, then aimed a gun at officers.
Lewis said one officer fired at the suspect.
Authorities haven’t released the name of the suspect or the officers.
- Steve Nash advocates for stricter gun laws after Florida school shooting
- Students say more guns, police officers on campus is not the answer
- Gun control bills stall in Arizona Legislature following Florida shooting
- Thousands to march on Arizona’s capitol in response to Florida shooting
- Phoenix police union calling for review board decision to be overturned