A new concept, the Chicken Scoop, has opened in The Promenade Scottsdale at Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard and Scottsdale Road that offers chicken salad.
Wait, chicken salad? Yes: 14 gourmet flavors of chicken salad served on a bed of greens, in a sandwich or warmed up in a “toastie” (cheesy hot sandwich.)
I was lucky enough to be invited to not only try out this new restaurant but taste ALL 14 flavors. As a gal who loves chicken salad, I went with an eager and empty stomach.
The décor is modern, clean and inviting as you walk into Chicken Scoop. I would describe it as contemporary with a kick of Southern charm. I felt like I was invited into someone’s kitchen as beautiful cabinets, chalkboards and even hints of green from well-placed plants welcomed me in.
The menu is straight-forward: 14 flavors of chicken salad served three ways.
I was ready to dig-in and start sampling one spoonful at a time. I thought it would be easy to single out a favorite or two, but as I made my way through the samples, I realized coming up with a favorite was going to be a difficult task.
Here are my top choices:
- BBQ (bacon, cheddar and BBQ sauce)
- Spicy Thai (cashews, green onion and spicy thai peanut sauce)
- Chipotle (black beans, corn and smoky chipotle sauce)
- Curry (raisins, almonds and curry seasons)
- Popper (jalapenos, bacon and cream cheese dressing)
- Southwest (jalapenos, cheddar and southwest seasoning)
- Waldorf (grapes, apples and walnuts)
As I made my way through the menu, I chatted with one of the owners, Dana, inquiring where the recipes came from. She informed me that some were old family recipes from the South and some were new creations.
I also learned the chicken is all-natural, never frozen and hormone- and gluten-free, which is a nice added bonus.
I knew after the 14 mouthwatering tastes I needed to get my hands on one of their toasties. The BBQ flavor seemed like a great choice to be transformed into a hot sandwich.
It turned out to be a stellar choice. The warm chicken and BBQ sauce merged together as the cheddar cheese transformed into the perfect stringy consistency finished with smoky hints from the bacon. Each bite was a warm piece of delicious Southern comfort.
Sides include soups, potato salads and slaws to complete your meal.
Last — but definitely not least — each meal comes with a complimentary dessert pudding scoop. The flavor changes seasonally and I got to try the banana pudding. This little piece of heaven was amazing. I know I sound a bit dramatic, but the Chicken Scoop has nailed their pudding!
If you are a fan of chicken salad you are going to LOVE the Chicken Scoop. The original concept, amazing food and inviting environment is why I keep telling friends and family they need to stop in for a visit.
Though this is their first location, I have a great feeling we will be seeing other Chicken Scoops hatching all around the Valley. Lucky us!
- He Said: Cuban Foods Bakery & Restaurant captures true taste of Cuba
- Salud! Mark National Tequila Day at these Phoenix-area spots
- He Said: The UnderTow should float your boat for classic cocktails
- She Said: CRUjiente Tacos has a creative, tasty menu full of must-have items
- She Said: 10 Phoenix spots to celebrate National Doughnut Day