PHOENIX — A suspect was shot and killed Tuesday after leading police on a chase through the Phoenix metro area that ended with gunfire.
The deceased suspect was identified as 31-year-old Steven Del Rio, said Phoenix Police Department’s Jonathan Howard.
The chase began in the Avondale area, west of Phoenix. A live feed on social media showed a dark-colored SUV speeding and running lights.
Ray Emmett with the Avondale Police Department said three suspects allegedly robbed a Credit Union West bank. As they were fleeing the scene, they opened fire on police.
Avondale police turned the chase over to their counterparts in Phoenix after the suspects merged onto Interstate 10 eastbound at 107th Avenue.
Police tracked the vehicle through the city as the driver exited the freeway. Two of the suspects jumped out of the car and were captured.
The chase progressed eastbound down Baseline Road and ended near I-10, where officers in unmarked vehicles were able to spin the vehicle.
Shots were fired after the pursuit ended.
The live feed was cut soon after, but resumed and showed numerous emergency personnel on the scene.
The eastbound ramp to I-10 from Baseline Road was closed immediately after the shooting.
The other suspects have not been identified.
No officers were injured.
KTAR’s Kaely Monahan contributed to this report.
- Phoenix police: Officer shoots, wounds man who pointed gun
- Phoenix celebrates Chinese New Year with weekend-long festival
- Valley chefs, restaurateur named as James Beard Award semi-finalists
- Scottsdale’s Beat the Heat race to return in June after five-year hiatus
- Phoenix high school student arrested for bringing loaded gun on campus