Drivers heading back to the Phoenix metro area from the high country will need to have patience.
Labor Day traffic has been backing up on Arizona highways as people return to the city.
In eastern Arizona, the Department of Transportation reported that the backup on State Route 260 east of Payson was about seven miles long west of Kohl’s Ranch.
On Interstate 17, the main route between Flagstaff and the Phoenix area, ADOT reported southbound backups north of Black Canyon and also at Cordes Junction and Camp Verde. In addition, ADOT closed I-17 northbound for a brief time on Monday afternoon in that area for a vehicle fire.
There was heavy traffic reported near Kingman.
For those heading back from the southwest area of Arizona, the State Route 85 NB was closed before arriving at the Interstate 10 according to ADOT.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
- Ducey supporters drop lawsuit against challenger’s spot on primary ballot
- Rollover crash closes I-10 westbound at I-17 split in Phoenix
- Fire danger pushes 3 Arizona cities to drop plans for holiday fireworks
- Phoenix police searching for sheep missing since 2013
- Arizona officials work to ensure wildlife have water during drought