For September, your ‘Rosie-do’ list is focused on five outdoor vegetation areas.
Get your veggies growing
Temperatures are dropping, and it’s time for major planting to begin, particularly if you’re planning a vegetable garden. The rest of the world may be thinking about autumn and winter, but our best months are ahead of us.
Drop by a nursery and investigate the possibilities: Endive, lettuces, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, parsley, parsnips, chard and collard greens.
Great time to fertilize trees
Labor Day weekend is one of three times of year we urge homeowners to fertilize their citrus to ensure a juicy crop of lemons, limes, oranges and the rest. The other key dates are Valentine’s Day and Memorial Day.
Use granular fertilizers applied for slow release. If there’s rain in the forecast, try timing your application just before the storm and let nature help you out. Other trees could also use some fertilizing at this time of year.
If you feed trees in the fall, they’ll grow better in the spring.
Should you prune or not?
You can trim eucalyptus and mesquites now, of course, but don’t prune your citrus or you might set off a growth spurt that could freeze later in the year. Actually, you hardly ever need to prune your citrus.
Get ready to overseed your lawn
Mature Bermuda grass lawns can be overseeded between late September and mid-November when temperatures at night drop below 60 degrees. It’s best to stop fertilizing and slow down on watering for a few weeks before you overseed.
Stop mowing one week before overseeding and then mow on the last day down to about a half-inch high. Remove the clippings and begin the overseeding. Follow directions on the seed package after that.
This is the perfect time to put in new trees and plants. It’s also the perfect time to get going on any remodeling projects so they’re done in time for the holidays.
For more DIY tips and information for all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com –- Arizona’s most trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Beat the summer heat: 10 reasons to consider new windows
- Six quick, low-cost home project ideas to tackle over Memorial Day weekend
- Four pros and cons of a mini-split air-conditioning unit
- Seven outside-of-the-box ideas for what to get mom for Mother’s Day
- Questions to ask when getting your pool ready for Arizona summers