HOUMA, La. (AP) – A fire inspector says the blaze that killed three children from Alabama started in the living room of the mobile home in Louisiana where they were staying.
Houma (HOH-muh) fire inspector Michael Millett (me-YAY) said Thursday that a space heater may have started the fire, but there was so much damage investigators may never be certain.
Terrebonne Parish Coroner’s Office chief investigator Danny Theriot identified the victims as 13-year-old Roxana Mejia and her brothers, 11-year-old Josue Mejia and 9-year-old Rommy Mejia.
State Fire Marshal’s office District Chief Lance LaMarca says another sibling, the children’s parents and four other children were taken to a Baton Rouge burn unit.
LaMarca says the children’s father was burned rescuing one child after smoke came under his bedroom door, but was unable to get the other three.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)