Share this story...
Latest News

Chicopee man hurt in small garage fire

CHICOPEE, Mass. (AP) – Authorities say a Chicopee man who locked himself out of his home had be taken to the hospital after lighting a fire in his garage to stay warm.

Fire Capt. Mark Galarneau says the middle-aged man apparently misplaced his keys and took shelter in the garage early Thursday because he couldn’t get into the house.

He tells The Republican ( newspaper that when the temperature dropped, the man lit some paper products.

The ensuing smoke prompted the man to open the garage door and push the burning paper outside. A smoke alarm went off, and the fire department responded at about 3:30 a.m.

The fire was quickly extinguished and the man was taken to the hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. His injuries are not believed to be serious.


Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican,

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)