Share this story...
Latest News

NY man: Fire was started by meth, not chicken

AUBURN, N.Y. (AP) – A New York man has admitted the fire that damaged an apartment earlier this year started when he was making methamphetamine and not chicken wings as he originally told police.

The Citizen of Auburn reports ( that 44-year-old Daniel Van Luven, of Moravia, pleaded guilty Tuesday in Cayuga County Court to manufacturing meth.

The plea comes after he and 42-year-old Dawn Royea were charged earlier this month with making meth in Royea’s Auburn apartment in May. Police say Van Luven and Royea initially claimed a fire that broke out was sparked by grease from cooking the wings.

Police say their investigation and lab tests determined otherwise.

Van Luven faces a two-year prison sentence. Royea’s case is pending. She’s an inmate at a state prison where she’s serving a sentence for drunken driving.


Information from: The Citizen,

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)