For August, your ‘Rosie-do’ list has 5 recommended to-dos to keep your home up an running smoothly:
Start planning your fall vegetable garden
If you already have a garden ready to go, here are vegetables to plant soon: Bush and pole beans by Aug. 15; celery, cucumbers, fall peas and cauliflower after Aug. 15.
The big planting season starts in September. If you’re doing a garden for the first time, start really small and spend a couple of weekends preparing the soil with composts, mulches and organic fertilizer. New gardeners should also pick veggies that are easy to grow, such as radishes and lettuces.
Create a lush lawn
Find out all about it at a free seminar on desert lawn care held by the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association.
Seminars in Phoenix are being on Aug. 11 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Yucca Library on 15th Avenue and Aug. 25 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Agave Library on 36th Avenue. Check the association webite to find out how to register.
Having electrical problems?
August, with its electrically-charged monsoon storms, is often the time when you begin to wonder about the condition of your electric panel. The panel, of course, can be replaced and expanded to provide new circuits.
You might also want a whole house surge protector wired into your panel to prevent damage to appliances and electronic devices. Call one of our Rosie-Certified electricians to help with this project.
Check out your roof
Once the storm season ends, have a registered roofer climb up there to have a look, particularly if there have been hailstorms or severe winds in your area. If you see that your neighbors are having roof repairs, then it’s possible you have a problem, too, even if you haven’t had leaks inside the house.
This is often one of the buggiest times of the year, especially if rain creates muggy conditions. Call a pest-control company to handle ants, mosquitoes and crickets. Have a termite inspection if you find mud tubes on your home’s foundation.
Remember the best and most-trusted contractors and home service providers are our Rosie-certified contractors. Find and contact the Rosie-certified roofers, air conditioning and extermination specialists at RosieontheHouse.com.
For more DIY tips and information about all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January
- Beat the summer heat: 10 reasons to consider new windows
- Six quick, low-cost home project ideas to tackle over Memorial Day weekend
- Four pros and cons of a mini-split air-conditioning unit
- Seven outside-of-the-box ideas for what to get mom for Mother’s Day
- Questions to ask when getting your pool ready for Arizona summers