PHOENIX — When it comes to planning the vacation of a lifetime, travelers chose an Arizona destination as the best place to travel in America.
According to U.S. News, the Grand Canyon is the No. 1 best place to visit in the country.
This list was based on a variety of factors such as attractions, accommodations and dining options combined with traveler votes.
The Grand Canyon was ranked highly because it can accommodate all types of travelers. Many out-doorsy travelers sleep under the stars at camp grounds while others stay in hotels in the area.
The Arizona travel-stop also topped the list because of its low-cost elements. Renting a car is unnecessary because of the free shuttle services provided by the park and many campers will bring and prepare their own food.
The Grand Canyon beat out California and Hawaii for No. 1 spot. Following the Grand Canyon was Maui, Yellowstone, Yosemite and San Francisco.
- Rangers reminding visitors to hike smart at Grand Canyon this summer
- Megabus.com offers new route from Phoenix to Las Vegas
- Autopsy: Burns, smoke killed Grand Canyon helicopter crash victims
- Change in Park Service policy catches some seasonal workers off-guard
- Sen. McCain, former Rep. Udall honored with plaques at Grand Canyon