PHOENIX — A Phoenix teenager died Tuesday after being accidentally shot while playing with a gun, police said.
The Phoenix Police Department said officers were called to a home near Missouri and 19th avenues about 8 p.m. Monday. They found the 16-year-old boy suffering from a gunshot wound.
The teenager was taken to a local hospital but succumbed to his injury on Tuesday.
It is believed another teenager was present when the boy was shot and also may have been handling the gun. He was not injured.
No further details about the other boy or the weapon have been released.
Police are investigating the boy’s death.
- Phoenix celebrates Chinese New Year with weekend-long festival
- Valley chefs, restaurateur named as James Beard Award semi-finalists
- Scottsdale’s Beat the Heat race to return in June after five-year hiatus
- Phoenix high school student arrested for bringing loaded gun on campus
- No Phoenix-area freeway closures over President’s Day weekend