PHOENIX — An American Airlines flight had to return to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport on Monday after a part fell off the aircraft shortly after takeoff.
Flight 403 was scheduled to fly to San Francisco but was forced to turn back after part of the engine cowling came loose and fell off, the airline said.
The part landed on airport property.
The plane landed safely and no injuries were reported.
American Airlines said it is working with the Federal Aviation Administration to determine why the part fell off.
- Hail smashes window of Phoenix-bound plane, pilots force land in Texas
- Dog found dead during layover on Delta flight from Phoenix
- Cargo aircraft makes emergency landing at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport
- More changes made to departure routes from Sky Harbor airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor, Condor Airlines add flights to Frankfurt