PHOENIX — An American Airlines flight had to return to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport on Monday after a part fell off the aircraft shortly after takeoff.
Flight 403 was scheduled to fly to San Francisco but was forced to turn back after part of the engine cowling came loose and fell off, the airline said.
The part landed on airport property.
The plane landed safely and no injuries were reported.
American Airlines said it is working with the Federal Aviation Administration to determine why the part fell off.
- Man straps jet engines to himself, flies across the land
- 2-year-old stops to fist-bump each passenger while boarding flight
- Early arrival: Phoenix woman gives birth to boy on flight
- Sky Harbor’s Sky Train gets approval for $100 million extension
- Phoenix heat wave forces American Airlines to cancel at least 50 flights