PHOENIX — If Sunday night’s Tony Awards got your toes tapping, you’re in luck!
The Disney musical “Newsies” is coming to ASU Gammage from June 14 through 19.
The show is roughly based on the events of the New York City Newsboys Strike of 1899. “Newsies” is the story a poor newspaper seller, Jack Kelly, who fights back against publishing giant Joseph Pulitzer. With the help of a local reporter, Katherine Plumber, the two reveal the power of the little man.
There will be a total of eight shows: six evening performances and two weekend matinees. Tickets are still being sold through Gammage’s website.
While the show is in town, many of the stars will be making appearances off-stage as well. The female lead, Morgan Keene, is scheduled to sing the National Anthem at Wednesday’s Arizona Diamondbacks game.
Gammage also has a variety of critically-acclaimed performances already scheduled for the 2016-2017 season.
The 2016 Tony Award winner for best musical, “Hamilton,” is on the slate for the 2017-2018 season.
The best way to get tickets is to become a season ticket holder. Current season ticket holders guarantee their place in line for the following season.
- Season tickets for ASU’s Gammage, including ‘Hamilton,’ sell out in hours
- Grand jury clears cop who killed man holding butcher knife
- Cops: Grand jury to review cop’s fatal shooting of armed man
- Murder trial in Ohio firefighter’s death to stay in Hamilton
- 1 dead after police shooting at Ohio city apartment complex