PHOENIX — Authorities in the West Valley city of Surprise said that two people were injured at a roadway construction site Thursday morning when a 150-pound supportive beam fell onto equipment.
One of the injured workers fell from 40 feet and was flown to a trauma center. According to 12 News, the other victim was inside a piece of heavy equipment when the beam fell and that worker’s injuries are only minor.
The beam was part of a system of girders being used to build an elevated roadway near Bell Road and Grand Avenue.
12 News is reporting that traffic has been restricted in the area due to the accident.
The Arizona Division of Occupational Safety and Health are investigating the scene.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Arizona leads nation in proportion of female farmers
- Crowded field for Franks’ special election raises more than $1.1 million
- Arizona nonprofit awarded $30M for projects in low-income areas
- Phoenix residents need to work 66 hours to pay monthly rent, study finds
- Arizona lawmakers block bump stocks debate after Florida shooting