PHOENIX — A dog died over the weekend after being left on a Phoenix-area apartment balcony during a spell of record heat, police said.
The Glendale Police Department said it received a call about 3:40 p.m. Sunday afternoon that the dog was in distress on a third-floor balcony near Northern and 61st avenues.
Officers responded and could not get to the dog. They called for the city’s fire department to bring a ladder, but the dog died before crews could arrive.
The dog was a chocolate Labrador retriever and was about 1-year-old.
The dog’s owner, 28-year-old Adrian Gonzalez, could face animal cruelty charges.
The Arizona Humane Society is assisting police with the investigation.
The Phoenix area experienced extreme heat over the weekend. The National Weather Service reported a high of 115 degrees on Saturday, the earliest recorded date of the city hitting such temperatures.
An excessive heat warning was issued prior to the weekend.
During such a warning, owners are encouraged to keep pets indoors.
- Phoenix needs more bottled water to help battle summer heat
- Heat returning to metro Phoenix but nothing like the 2017 streak
- Grocery chain Safeway closing two Phoenix-area stores
- Stolen 2-month-old puppy returned safely to Phoenix animal shelter
- Two suffer life-threatening injuries after car crashes into pole in Glendale