PHOENIX– A petition drive urging officials to stop Nestle from building a bottled water plant in Phoenix is 80 percent of the way to a goal of 50,000 signatures. The petition on Change.org urges Phoenix officials and other local leaders to stop the $35 million project.
A town hall-style public meeting with city officials has also been scheduled for Friday afternoon at 2 p.m. at the Nina Mason Pulliam Rio Salado Audubon center in south Phoenix.
Stacy Champion represents a group that opposes the Nestle plant.
“Is that our best use? To take our municipal water, stick it in a plastic bottle and sell it back to people at two-to-four thousand times the cost they would pay for that water if they turned on their tap?”
Supporters of the plant say it will create 50 new jobs and is no different from a plant that produces soft drinks.
- Phoenix residents hope to save Chinese Cultural Center with online petition
- Constituents call on Sen. Jeff Flake to host town hall meeting
- Paul Penzone challenges Sheriff Joe Arpaio to debate after turning in signatures
- Nestle says it will open $35M water bottling plant in Phoenix area
- Arizona primary petition to reach White House after topping 100K signatures