PHOENIX — A fire to a power company’s transformer turned part of the metro Phoenix skies dark and smoky early Wednesday morning.
The blaze at the Salt River Project facility at 119th Avenue and Broadway Road created a flames and a large plume of black smoke settled over part of Avondale and drifted eastward.
No was injured and power to customers wasn’t affected.
A transformer filled with mineral oil caught fire around 5 a.m., said a company spokesman.
The oil keeps the transformer cool.
“The smoke from the fire is not toxic or harmful,” Scott Harrelson said.
About a dozen fire units were dispatched to the scene.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Census: 55,000 Arizonans lost health insurance coverage last year
- ADOT inviting photographers to participate in annual contest
- Fife Symington, Paul Johnson on life after Arizona politics
- Nurses in Arizona and nationwide walked off job on Friday
- Arizona-led bill could allow for new treatment for vets with brain injuries