Sheriff: Propane caused deadly NY house explosion
WILSON, N.Y. (AP) – Sheriff’s investigators believe a propane leak led to a New York house explosion that killed a 14-year-old girl and injured four family members this week.
But Niagara County Sheriff James Voutour (voo-TOOR’) said Friday it’s unclear what sparked the explosion. Authorities are looking at appliances as one possibility.
The Tuesday morning blast leveled a large, two-story home in Wilson, a town about 30 miles north of Buffalo. Jody and Judith Johnson and their five children lived there. Sarah Johnson was killed.
Jody Johnson and his 16-year-old son, Nathan, were released from a hospital Thursday. Judith Johnson remains hospitalized in fair condition. Her 18-year-old daughter, Katie, remains in critical condition with severe burns.
Two other siblings weren’t home when the blast happened.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)