This is the time of year when you put your sun screens back up on your windows if you have them.
If you don’t, you might want to buy them for your sunniest windows. They can provide more shade in your house, reflect the sun’s rays and absorb and disperse heat back into the air.
If you already have sun screens, you may want to clean them thoroughly before you put them back on your windows for the summer months.
- You will need to use soapy water, a garden hose and a soft brush or rag to scrub off the dust and dirt.
- Clean both sides of the sun screens and rinse off the soap. Dry them with rags or an old towel.
- After they dry, wipe them down with a vinyl protection product to make them look like new again.
The screens usually have aluminum frames and can be coated with vinyl or fiberglass. They will generally last 10 years or more but may need replacing if they have deteriorated. Make sure the aluminum frames are not broken or bent and that there are no rips or tears in the screening material.
You can leave these screens on the house all year round, of course. But if you do, be sure to clean them in the fall to remove dusty residue and insects. When they are off, it’s a good time to wash windows as well.
For more DIY tips and information for all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com – Arizona’s most trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
Rosie on the House
- Phoenix officials say summer is the ideal time for street paving
- Cold call: Even in the heat, Arizona’s ice rinks must deliver
- Average Arizona gas price expected to dip under $3 soon
- In case you wondered, triple digits coming back to Phoenix area
- Here are 5 ways to save money while traveling this summer