Reaction to toxins in ‘nontoxic’ nail polish

Apr 11, 2012, 2:15 PM

(AP) – Reaction to a report by California regulators that found that some nail polishes commonly found in salons and advertised as free of a so-called “toxic trio” of chemicals actually have high levels of agents linked to birth defects and other illnesses:

“It’s disappointing. It’s disgusting and misleading. But I feel like companies lie about everything, especially nowadays when it sells to be `organic.'”

_ Nail salon customer Dawn Boyce, 33, of San Francisco.

“Physically, I can tell after eight or ten hours working, the chemicals give you very bad headache and affects you mentally. My eyes itch. My nose itch. But as soon as I walk outside the salon, I feel much better. I hope the state government think about this and make it by law that if you say `no’ and you have it, they have to have punishment or penalty.”

_ Tina Bui, who has been a manicurist for 17 years in Marin County, Calif.

“We know there are exposures at salons, both to workers and customers, and we’re concerned about potential harm. Our strategy first and foremost is to shed light on the reality of what’s in these products and put this information out to everyone.”

_ Karl Palmer, the California Department of Toxic Substances Control’s pollution prevention performance manager who oversaw the report.

“(The Nail Manufacturers Council) condemns any manufacturer misleading customers about the ingredients in their products. The public should, however, be aware that nearly the entire nail polish industry voluntarily took steps years ago to remove toluene and DBP from their products.”

_ Myra Irizarry, director of government affairs for the Nail Manufacturers Council.

“Consumers and workers deserve to be protected. While we have made great strides in ensuring sanitary conditions at salons, the presence of dangerous chemicals still persists. There are no excuses for manufacturers to mislabel their products. If they can’t clean up their act on their own, then we have no choice but to force those changes by law.”

_ California state Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco.

“We as a manufacturer do not use toluene in our nail polish, or any of those three (chemicals). Perhaps the polish was contaminated through the lab tests or by some other method.”

_ Newton Luu, owner of LeChat Nail Care Products, which makes a polish the report found contained traces of toluene but was labeled as free of the chemical.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Phoenix Children's Avondale...

Colton Krolak

Phoenix Children’s to open Avondale campus, meeting needs of southwest Valley

Phoenix Children’s is opening an emergency department on July 26 at its Avondale campus to help fill the need for pediatric services in the rapidly expanding southwest Valley.

5 months ago

Phoenix mom who triggered Amber Alert found unconscious with baby, drugs by her side...

Serena O'Sullivan

Police: Phoenix mom who triggered Amber Alert found unconscious with baby, drugs by her side

A mom who took her baby from a Phoenix hospital and triggered an Amber Alert was found unconscious with the child and drugs, officials said.

5 months ago

urgent care honorhealth...

Stephen Gugliociello

HonorHealth to acquire 26 urgent care centers from FastMed

Healthcare system HonorHealth has purchased 26 urgent care centers in Arizona from FastMed, the company announced Tuesday.

5 months ago

Hiker in extreme heat...

Associated Press

How extreme heat takes a toll on the mind and body, according to experts

Extreme heat takes a toll. Heavy sweating, dizziness, muscle spasms and vomiting are just a few signs of heat exhaustion.

5 months ago

Food Bank Fridays campaign success 2023...

Serena O'Sullivan

Gaydos and Chad beat personal record in third year of Food Bank Fridays event

Each year, KTAR News 92.3 FM's Gaydos + Chad host their Food Bank Fridays campaign to provide free meals for people in need.

5 months ago

Surprise house fire...

Serena O'Sullivan

House fire in Surprise sends firefighter, 3 others to hospital

A Monday night house fire in Surprise, AZ sent four people to the hospital for fire-related injuries, including one firefighter.

5 months ago

Sponsored Articles

(KTAR News Graphic)...

KTAR launches online holiday auction benefitting Boys & Girls Clubs of the Valley

KTAR is teaming up with The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Valley for a holiday auction benefitting thousands of Valley kids.

Follow @KTAR923...

The best ways to honor our heroes on Veterans Day and give back to the community

Veterans Day is fast approaching and there's no better way to support our veterans than to donate to the Military Assistance Mission.



Key dates for Arizona sports fans to look forward to this fall

Fall brings new beginnings in different ways for Arizona’s professional sports teams like the Cardinals and Coyotes.

Reaction to toxins in ‘nontoxic’ nail polish