Share this story...
Latest News

Charles Wells, Ky labor leader, dies in house fire

GEORGETOWN, Ky. (AP) – A longtime Kentucky labor leader and Democratic activist, Charles Wells, has died in a fire at his central Kentucky home. He was 52.

Kentucky State Police say the fire began Tuesday evening in a room of Wells’ Georgetown home after an electric space heater was placed too close to combustible materials.

Gov. Steve Beshear appointed Wells in 2008 as a special liaison between the state and labor groups representing its employees. Wells had previously served as director of the Kentucky Association of State Employees. He was serving on the Kentucky Democratic Party’s Central Executive Committee at the time of his death.

Beshear said in a statement Wednesday he was saddened by Wells’ death, calling him a “lifelong advocate for working families.”

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)