Share this story...
Latest News

W.Va. city wasn’t told about system’s installation

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) – South Charleston’s mayor says a ventilation system at a hotel that leaked deadly carbon monoxide poisoning wasn’t inspected because the city didn’t know it had been installed.

Mayor Frank Mullens tells the Charleston Daily Mail (
http://bit.ly/AeefuV) the city was never informed of the work. He says there’s no record of a licensed contractor getting a permit to install the system.

The leak Tuesday killed a Rhode Island construction worker and sickened others at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites.

Officials say a pipe attached to a heating unit on the hotel’s indoor pool came apart, allowing deadly carbon monoxide fumes to escape.

___

Information from: Charleston Daily Mail,
http://www.dailymail.com

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)